Monday, June 17, 2013

Week 4: The Joy of the Lord is Our Strength, Day 4: Abiding Joy

Today’s Treasure: Psalm 16:11 – “You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.”

Five major catalysts for JOY:
(1) Joy is the result of Salvation
(2) Joy is the result of Discovery
(3) Joy is the result of Restoration
(4) Joy is the result of Abiding (remaining) in Christ
(5) Joy is the result of Relating God’s way to God’s people

The fourth catalyst for joy is ‘Abiding (remaining) in Christ.’ For the past few months, our Bible Study lesson has focused on the importance of abiding in Christ. We’ve been studying John 15:1-17; read the first few verses below…

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”

Abiding joy comes from remaining in the vine, which is Jesus Christ. We cannot bear fruit (the fruit of the spirit) unless we remain in Christ, the vine. If we do not bear fruit, we will be cut-off. How can we remain in Him and not be cut-off? By obeying His commandments. Through obedience, we will bear fruit and experience great joy.

Our joy is complete, or full, in the presence of God (Psalm 16:11). Is your joy incomplete? Seek the presence of God; seek Him in prayer and bible study.

"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." John 15:11

No comments:

Post a Comment